I absolutely LOVE breakfast foods. If we are being completely candid, I eat breakfast for dinner at least once a week. If we are being even more candid, I have an extreme tendency to choose savory breakfast items. This healthy breakfast casserole is a brunch crowd pleaser but also simple enough to make ahead and have for yourself as a heat and go breakfast during the week.
Savory Caramelized Onion and Kale Brunch Bake
Makes 8 Servings
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
½ Large Spaghetti Squash, Cooked (See Recipe Here)
1 Tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Bunch Tuscan Kale
½ Red Bell Pepper
1 Sweet Onion
¼ Cup of Water
4 oz Shredded Organic Sharp Cheddar Cheese about 1 cup, grated)
12 Eggs (4 Whole Eggs and 8 Egg Whites)
¼ Tsp Garlic Powder
¼ Tsp Grated Nutmeg
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375. While the oven is heating up, dice the onion and bell pepper. Add the onion to a frying pan with 1 tsp olive oil and cook on high for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until they turn translucent.
2. Add the red bell pepper to the pan and turn down to medium. While the red bell pepper cooks, about five minutes, wash the kale and cut widthwise into thin ¼ inch ribbons., separating the leaf from the stem once it gets more than a half inch thick.
3. Add the kale and the ¼ cup of water, a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper to the pan with the peppers and onions, stir and return to high heat. Cook on high for five to ten minutes or until the kale is wilted and tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and place in a bowl to cool.
4. While the vegetable mixture cools, prepare your eggs. Combine 4 whole eggs and 8 egg whites, garlic powder, nutmeg, a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper in a bowl and whisk together well until fully blended.
5. Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with olive oil. Layer half of the spaghetti squash in the bottom of the dish. Cover the squash with half of the pepper, onion, kale mixture. Cover that with half the cheese. Repeat the layering with the remaining ingredients and pour the egg mixture over everything.
6. Make sure the egg mixture is evenly distributed. Bake for 25 minutes or until the eggs are no longer runny.
In this recipe, spinach would be a great substitute for the Tuscan kale. Add artichokes and tomatoes and swap the cheddar for few for a different twist on this recipe.