I am not sure if it’s because I live somewhere that is cold and cloudy for the majority of the year, but I genuinely find summer to be absolutely magical. From the time spent outdoors to the colorful and flavorful foods I feel so inspired to create meals with, I believe all aspects of glorious summer are meant to be shared. With meals that are lighter and more laid back, I have really been trying to embrace the less is more motto. Instead of creating a massive dinner salad using everything in my fridge, I tried my hand at grilling some romaine!
The first time I had grilled romaine was several years ago and I was recently reminded of it. This bare bones recipe below came to life when I was going to make a giant salad for dinner but was pressed for time. The fat from the oil, acidity from the lemon juice, salt from the cheese and sweetness of the tomatoes make this simple dish so tasty. Go ahead and give this grilled salad recipe a try – you’ll be surprised at how good it is!
Grilled Romaine – The Easiest Salad You’ve Ever Made
Makes 2 Servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
1 Head of Romaine Lettuce
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Shredded Parmesean Cheese
1/2 Cup Grape or Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- Preheat your grill.
- Halve the head of romaine lengthwise. Rinse and pat dry.
- Brush, drizzle or spray olive oil on the cut sides of the lettuce and season with salt and pepper.
- Place romaine cut side down on the grill. Grill for 5 minutes, until the lettuce is charred and slightly wilted.
- Remove from the grill and immediately squeeze lemon juice over the lettuce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Top with halved tomatoes and enjoy!
Want some variety? This recipe would also be amazing with fresh herbs sprinkled on top, balsamic vinegar instead of lemon juice and blue cheese could be substituted for parmesean. When using cheeses on salads, I prefer to use strong, sharp cheese as I feel the strong flavor goes farther and you have to use less!