I have been making this easy, healthier quiche for breakfast meal prep a lot lately and I have 4 variations to prove it! This quiche checks all the boxes for me – it’s flavorful, reheats wonderfully, there is less fat and more protein in it than in a traditional quiche and best of all – it’s SO EASY. Another great thing about this easy, healthier quiche is that it isn’t a boring meal prep option – this is totally worthy of making for brunch guests as well! Check out the full recipe and my variations below!
Prep: 15 Minutes; Baking Time: 40 Minutes
1 Cup of 1% Cottage Cheese
1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese (I pretty much always use parmesan)
2 Tbsp Milk (any kind is fine)
2 Cups of Baby Spinach (about half of an 8 oz bag)
2 Tsp Olive Oil
1/2 a White or Sweet Onion, Minced
1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 Tsp Salt
Optional: 1 Pie Crust
1. If using a pre-made or homemade crust, use a fork to poke several holes in the bottom of the crust and bake the crust in the oven at 425 for ten minutes. Remove the crust and turn oven down to 375.
2. While the crust cooks, heat the olive oil in a medium sized pan over high heat and add the minced onion. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring every now and then.
3. Turn heat down to medium. Add in baby spinach and salt. Stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes until spinach is wilted down. Turn off stove and let the onion and spinach mix cool while you prep the rest of the filling.
4. In a bowl combine the eggs, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, milk and garlic powder. Whisk the ingredients together until they are well blended. Add a pinch of salt and pepper here if you’d like. Stir in Spinach and onion mixture.
5. Place the crust (or greased pie dish) on a baking sheet and fill with egg mixture to catch any spills. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until cooked through.
I am gluten free so I really like the Wholly Gluten Free brand as far as pre-made pie crust. I have also made the above recipe using this super simple hash brown crust!
Another great variation is to make this recipe into omelet bites: I absolutely love these Non-Toxic BPA Free Reusable Silicone Baking Cups. Simply add 1/4 cup of the quiche mixture into the baking cups and bake in the air fryer at 325 for 10 minutes or until set.
I recently just made, baked and froze an entire quiche. I am interested to see how it reheats and will keep you posted!